Headaches can have many causes directly tied to other physical ailments which are often ignored and can bring relief when treated. According to Oro Valley physical therapist Tim Pate, a common mistake many people make is relying on temporary solutions, such as pain killers, to treat chronic headaches without addressing the underlying issues.
According to Pate and the National Headache Foundation, individuals suffering from certain types of headaches, such as cervicogenic headaches, often also suffer from ailments such as a stiff neck and muscle tenderness. Because of this connection, pain from these symptoms and chronic headaches can often be relieved through the proper physical therapy treatment.
Working with a physical therapist can help patients who suffer from pain and headaches:
- Identify and create a plan of action to treat their pain triggers
- Decrease the frequency of headaches and intensity of their symptoms
- Improve their mobility and range of motion
- Modify and break bad habits to prevent pain and headaches in the future
- Improve muscle strength in their back and shoulders
A licensed physical therapist can work with a patient to determine their specific triggers and develop a treatment plan to relieve their pain. If you suffer from chronic headaches and would like to learn if physical therapy treatment is right for you, contact Copper Health Oro Valley to learn more.